An important part of life...
This part of our website will share how sport is playing an increasingly large part in the children's lives at Tudor.
The recent years have seen a major transformation at Tudor Primary in regard to sport and active lifestyles. We fully recognise our duty in delivering high quality PE and sport for all pupils in our care. This part of the website will share just how much the situation has changed...
Mr Higgins is our sports coach. An ex- Tudor pupil himself, Mr Higgins is passionate about PE and he is keen to help drive up our standards in this vital aspect of children's development. So you all can know a little bit more about our Tudor Sports Coach, I asked him to provide a few words for our website about sport and fun physical activity at Tudor Primary:
I am absolutely loving my time as Sports Coach at Tudor! I’m now in my third year here, and am proud to say that sport has grown into such an important area of our school! Having had a lengthy educational journey through College, the University of Hertfordshire, and varying different roles in the sports coaching industry (from grass roots to academy level), it’s been great to put everything into practice and transform sport at Tudor into the HUGE success that it currently is! My qualifications cover football, dodgeball, tennis, futsal, disability tennis, goalkeeping, talent identification, and I have just finished my Level 5 certificate in Primary School Physical Education!
It’s fair to say that before I came into my role, and even when I was a young boy here myself, PE and sport needed some refreshing. I even think that I may have been in the last football match Tudor played against another school! Now though, I can assure you it’s a COMPLETELY different story in EVERY way. Let me tell you what sort of things we’ve got up to over the past couple of years in our story to success...
- GOLD School Games Mark - Tudor’s greatest sporting achievement to date! We were awarded this nationally recognised status for our ‘commitment, engagement and delivery of competitive school sports in 2018/2019.’ That’s everything from our inter/intra school events, a sports council, an engaging curriculum, extra-curricular opportunities, staff development, targeted provision, and so much more! We 'aimed' for bronze at the start of our (new) PE journey, but we upped it to Silver. Last year, we went a stage further and achieved Gold? Next stop, platinum!
- An 800% (yes, you read that right) increase in afterschool clubs! Tudor started out with around 2 extra-curricular opportunities before I arrived, but we’ve now got 18 after-school clubs for the Autumn Term of 2019! We have a different club for every single year group almost every day of the school week, run by myself and other members of school staff, as well as some of our amazing partnership providers. Another of Mr Weightman’s targets for me was to organise 3 clubs per day, but we’ve smashed that one too and gone with 4 instead!
- An engaging, wider PE curriculum like no other! Alongside Mr Weightman, we have managed to secure extended opportunities to make our PE curriculum as unique as they come! Alongside 2 hours of high quality, skills-focused PE every week, we enjoy strong links with Kreative Dance, Leverstock Green Tennis Club , as well as Skiing lessons as part of the PE curriculum in year 6 with our neighbours at the Hemel Hempstead Snow Centre.
- Inter-school success! Tudor really is making an impact in competitions with other schools! We continue to enjoy a great deal of success at local and county level. Success includes Dacorum Champions of Dodgeball, Foundation Stage Mini Olympics Festival finalists, county finals representation at 4 Tri-Golf, awesome success in both girls and mixed football and more. Come and check out our ever-growing trophy cabinet in the school office!
- Fun filled lunchtimes! Every day we have a number of different activities for children to participate in! On a typical day at Tudor, you will see hundreds of children enjoying themselves playing football, basketball, cricket, tennis, and on our fantastic Tudor Towers Activity Centre! Our field and playground is such an amazing place at lunch!
- Meeting the champions – who else can say they met the Manchester United Squad, ate breakfast with Andy Cole, shook hands with Jose Mourinho, and then tour and have lunch at Old Trafford? Our Girls football team also competed at the incredible new dome facility at the Watford FC Training Ground, meeting some of the ladies team while we were there! We’ve even had visits from GB Sprinter Rion Pierre, and ex-world BMX champion Mike Mullen!
A big thank you to AAD- Applied Acoustic Design for their support of Tudor Primary Football Squad.
Find their website at: